Monday, September 19, 2011

Emmys 2011: A night full of upsets!

Although it was no surprise that Modern Family took away most of the awards in the comedy category, it was a night full of surprise and upsets in drama and TV movie or miniseries categories.

Jane Lynch may not have been as funny as I hoped, but the opening number was hilarious as she walked through the sets of some of the most popular series on TV. I was a particular fan of how annoyed Sheldon Cooper was to have his thai food interrupted by a musical number in their living room.

The first upset of the night occurred during Lead Actor for a Comedy Series. Everyone thought for sure the award would finally go to Steve Carrell for "The Office". However, fans are once again left disappointed because Jim Parsons took home the award for the second year in a row or his performance as Sheldon Cooper in "The Big Bang Theory". It would be only the first time, but not the last, that I would scream in delight in front of my television.

One of the funniest moments of the night had nothing to do with Jane Lynch at all. As they were announcing the nominees for Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, starting with Amy Poehler, each one made their way to the stage like they were announcing the finalist for Miss America. It was priceless, especially when neither Poehler or Tina Fey took how the award like everyone thought. Melissa McCarthy nabbed it for "Mike & Molly".


Martin Scorsese won his very first Emmy last night for Directing for a Drama Series on "Boardwalk Empire", which would be the only big award the HBO series would win. However, it is not the only HBO series that would get snubbed last night. "Game of Thrones" nominated for almost everything in the Drama categories would take home only one major award, but it was definitely the one they deserved the most.

My Twitter feed and Tumblr dashboard exploded with applause and delight when Peter Dinklage was announced the winner for Supporting Actor in a Drama Series as Tyrion Lannister in "Game of Thrones". I personally screamed and danced around my living room, melting back into my chair when he thanked the dog sitter watching over his beloved pet back in New York. It is no secret that this man was born to play this exquisite character created by fantasy author George R. R. Martin. And he did so perfectly, bringing that character to life on screen better than any adaptation I have ever seen.


Another great and satisfying surprise was finally seeing Margo Martindale winning an Emmy for her performance as the villain in last season of "Justified", one of my favorite new shows. She was in fact, the last person I thought would win this category, but I am so beyond happy that she did. Her performance was excellent and chilling. And her acceptance speech is one of the best of the night.


However, it was towards the end of the night my heart almost completely gave out. I have never been a fan of the politics that sometimes determine who is going to win the awards instead of who actually deserves the recognition for that previous year. Which is why most often than not that I am disappointed or even angry with the Emmys, Globes and Oscars. But this year would go down as the happiest I have ever been with the results of the Emmy Awards. I hope the next Golden Globes and Oscars follow example.

Since it started, I have always thought that NBC's "Friday Night Lights" is one of the best series on television. It is the best portrayal of high school I have ever seen on a show with the perfect mix of drama and humor. Not to mention the amazing cast led by Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler. It made my life to see this series finally start getting recognized by the Emmy's last year. However, it didn't win. So, when it was nominated once again for it's final season, including a nod for Best Drama, I was delighted. Still, I didn't expect it to win. Yet, even up against "Game of Thrones" and "Mad Men" Jason Katims nabbed the Emmy away for Writing for a Drama Series for "Friday Night Lights".


And just like I have cried in every single episode of this series, I was in tears instantly following the unexpected scream that filled my house. And hearing "Clear eyes full hearts can't lose!" on an Emmy podium didn't help the tears all that much. That wouldn't however be the end of them. When Connie Britton didn't win for Lead Actress, I was going to resign and simply be happy with the single Emmy. But nothing prepared me for Kyle Chandler to win Lead Actor for his performance as Coach Eric Taylor, stealing it away from Steve Buscemi ("Boardwalk Empire"), Jon Hamm ("Mad Men"), Michael C. Hall ("Dexter"), Timothy Olyphant ("Justified") and Hugh Laurie ("House MD"). It was a fan's dream come true.


That was the end of the surprises last night, as expected "Mad Men" and "Modern Family" took the awards for Best Drama and Best Comedy. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't remember ever being this happy with an awards show in my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment