Monday, October 17, 2011

The Walking Dead gives a bloody comeback!




AMC's gory hit The Walking Dead continues it's supreme reign of everything horror on cable networks. Bringing in a whopping 7.3 million in it's second season premiere last night, the hour and half long episode reminded us all why this show is so fantastic.

It's nothing exciting to breakdown on a jammed packed freeway. But when you have a swarm of zombies heading towards you... it could get a little intense. I applaud this episode's writer for creating such a high intense mood in the first ten minutes. The episode turns into a manhunt as one of the groups children disappears in the woods after being chased by a couple walkers. Now, I could talk about this episode for ages, but there are a few scenes that I would like to mention.

When Andrea argues with Dale to give her gun back. Now, I have to admit, I thought she was whining a bit. But, that scene was fabulous. I have never heard an argument where I actually ended up siding with the person that wanted to commit suicide. No matter what she says, of course it has something to do with her sister's death, but I still ended up siding with her. The world is different, and if she wanted to end it in a bang instead of being eaten to death by monsters, or becoming one herself, I honestly can't blame her for that. Bravo for the writing and acting of that scene.

At the the same time, I cheered when Lori finally spoke up to Andrea and made her shut up.

I noticed while liveblogging the episode on Tumblr last night, that a couple fans were upset that it drew the religious card. I disagree. I didn't see it that way at all. I actually think when Rick was pleading inside the church for a sign, was the best scene of the episode. He has become the leader of these group of surviving misfits. He is the one that has to make all the hard choices and now, there is a kid missing. They have nowhere to hide, nowhere to go and nothing to look forward to but an endless road ahead. He was pleading for help. For a sign. A great scene for actor Andrew Lincoln.

Especially considering how the episode ended. A deer, still surviving in this apocalyptic world. It's supposed to be a sign. I honest to God thought that the missing kid was going to suddenly burst out of the trees and then the credits would roll. I DID NOT expect Rick's son to get shot by a hunter. I was watching the episode with my mother, and we both screamed.

Although I expect the viewing numbers to drop slightly in the second episode as they usually always do, with an ending like that, I expect somewhere between 5 and 6 million to pop back in next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment